無料ブログはココログ

« さくら | Main | Kagoshima City Tram Part Two »

07/01/2018

Kagoshima City Tram Part One

Maptram
ROUTE MAP

Tram1
Kagoshima-Ekimae Stop(鹿児島駅前電停)
The tram stop is next to JR Kagoshima Station(鹿児島駅). The construction of Kagoshima Main Line was completed in 1909. At that time, Kagoshima Station was the terminal station of the line. But newly opened line has become Kagoshima Main Line since 1927. And original line has become Hisatsu Line(肥薩線). Kagoshima Station's name has not changed.

Tram2
Shiyakusho-Mae Stop(市役所前電停)
The construction of Kagoshima City Hall Building was completed in 1937. The design was Ministry of Finance's Building Management Department(大蔵省営繕管財局工務部), and was also known as the department that designed National Diet Building.

Tram3
Asahi-Dori Stop(朝日通電停)
The retro building on the left is Yamakata-Ya(山形屋), the local depertment store. The founder of Yamakata-Ya is Genemon,first generation(初代源衛門), and was a safflower merchant from Dewa(出羽),that is current Yamagata Prefecture(山形県).

The Shimazu's 25th lord Shimazu Shigehide(島津重豪)disliked Satsuma's conservative and closed style, opened the country and welcomed foreigner's entry. At this time, Genemon moved to Satsuma and ran a kimono shop(呉服屋). In Meiji Era(明治時代),Iwamoto Shinbei(岩元信兵衛),the fifth generation, developed Yamakata-Ya and the prosperity has been continuing until now.

Tram_2
Izuro-Dori Stop(いづろ通電停)
At Izuro Intersection(いづろ交差点),there are antique stone lanterns. These stone lanterns are called ishidoro(石灯籠)in Japanese. Ishidoro was said to have become "Izuro" for Kagoshima dialect.

Tram5
Tenmonkan-Dori Stop(天文館通電停)
This neighborhood is called Tenmonkan(天文館). That name stands for astronomical observatory,and it is the downtown area of Kagoshima City. Shimazu Shigehide,25th lord of Satsuma established the astronomical observatory here, so it is called like this.

Tram6
Okubo Toshimichi(大久保利通)Statue
There is statue of Okubo Toshimichi near Takami-Bashi stop(高見橋電停),who is one of the biggest contributors of Meiji Restoration(明治維新). This statue was produced by Nakamura Shinya(中村晋也) in 1979. He is a Professor Emeritus of Kagoshima University, and is also a member of The Japan Art Institute(日本芸術院会員).


Introduction
Kagoshima City Tram has started as KAGOSHIMA-DENKI-KIDO(鹿児島電気軌道)since December 1st, 1912. It was transferred to Kagoshima City on July 1, 1928. By opening Ishiki Line(伊敷線)in 1961, the number of operating kilometers had extended to 19.4 km.


The tram introduced one person operation in 1967,uniform fare system in 1969,transfer tickets on 1975. It has always been streamlining management and improving service. However that was difficult to follow the rapid change of motorization,Kanmachi Line(上町線), Ishiki Line(伊敷線)were abolished in1985. The current number of operating kilometers is 13.145 km.

« さくら | Main | Kagoshima City Tram Part Two »

Comments

Post a comment

(Not displayed with comment.)

TrackBack


Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Kagoshima City Tram Part One:

« さくら | Main | Kagoshima City Tram Part Two »